Meat Room Sanitation Education
What Do You Know About Meat Sanitation?
AFPD has produced a sanitation education video focusing on food safety in the meat room. The video was funded by a grant from the Michigan Department of Agriculture. The video is available in DVD, and comes with a printed handbook to educate employees on meat room sanitation. The training tool is also available on the AFPD YouTube Channel at www.youtube.com/afpdtube.
To test your knowledge, here is a quiz you can share with your staff to see how much they already know. Answers are found in the video and handbook.
- TRUE or FALSE: Bacteria are invisible to the human eye and pose a health threat in the meat room.
- TRUE or FALSE: Contaminated foods are not only dangerous, but also cost distributors millions of dollars.
- TRUE or FALSE: The Michigan Department of Agriculture expects—but does not require—meat rooms to be cleaned and sanitized regularly.
- TRUE or FALSE: As a safety precaution, equipment must be locked out and tagged out before any cleaning takes place.
- TRUE or FALSE: During the cleaning process, workers must make sure they remove the biofilm, an invisible layer of microorganisms that builds up on surfaces.
- TRUE or FALSE: It is not necessary to clean floors or drains because they are not close to food-preparation areas.
- TRUE or FALSE: All sanitizing solutions are exactly the same.
- TRUE or FALSE: Bacteria cells in biofilms may be as much as 100 times more resistant to sanitizing chemicals than free-flowing or suspended cells of the same species
- 9. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that food-borne disease kills how many Americans a year?
- What is an area most people forget to clean?
b) Meat cooler
c) Garbage can
d) All of the above
- Outbreaks of serious food-borne illnesses have been linked to products that were contaminated by what un-sanitized equipment?
a) Deli slicer
c) Meat wrapper
d) All of the above